Our school was born at the beginning of the 20th century as a response to various needs:
- Offer quality education to the working class.
- Cover the educational needs of women of the time.
- To enable an integral education, where practical aspects (often linked to work life), but also personal growth in Christian values, should not only be important.
Although the bourgeois Barcelona of the first decade of the 20th century showed a visibly friendly face with the development of modernist art and industry, the truth is that this was a convulsive period from the economic and political point of view.
The working class, very damaged, presented a whole range of shortcomings that ranged from the right to social protection, health coverage, education, the right to leisure, etc. The children, who at that time worked at textile factories in the area, were the first victims of the system, and girls, even more.
In this environment, some sectors of the Church sensitive to social injustices moved to founded schools and give educational opportunities (and also other types) to the most vulnerable population. And it is here where Mgr. Ramon Balcells Masó became the key to the foundation of what we now call Marillac School. This priest, very influential and active in society at the time, taking charge of the harsh reality of the girls in the neighbourhood of Poblet de la Sagrada Família, started a Sunday school for girls. For this reason, in 1906 he acquired an industrial warehouse in Valencia street, where class was given in night and daytime shifts.
Given that more and more students were interested in attending class, in 1909, he founded the Social Work Board of the Workers of the Poblet and delegated to the Company of the Daughters of the Charity of Sant Vicenç de Paül the management and the day to day of the centre from then on, specifically in 1910, at Provença street school 389 was inaugurated, although the works were not completed until 1919. Later on, in 1925, the school grew larger with the purchase of the building on Sicily street 249. At that time, it hosted 826 girls in 13 classes (this meant an average of more than 60 girls per classroom).
The School Social Board of Trustees became a benchmark in the neighbourhood, not only for the basic and professional educational quality, but also for the connection with the families of the environment, leisure activities (here was determination to have a rest house and vacations in Santa Maria Palautordera as well as performances in the theatre of the school) and initiatives related to the protection of its students. In this sense, it is important to mention the creation in 1921 of the Social Security of the School Social Board, which later became the Savings Bank of the Sagrada Familia. In the same way, the students counted on facilities when buying clothes or foods, thanks to their cooperation.
For many years the Board of Trustees taught EGB and Professional Training (and later on Formative Cycles). Throughout all these years, the school has undergone major modifications, according to the needs of the moment. The education system and society have changed and the centre has always been willing to offer the best. At the moment Marillac School is called, in memory of the founder of the Daughters of the Charity and offers Infant Education (from 4 months of age), Primary and ESO.
Thanks to the past and to the impulse and initiative of the founder and the sisters, the Marillac School chooses inclusive education, educational innovation and personal and group support from Christian values and social commitment.
The history of the school and the circumstances that caused it to be born made us understand that this is the sense of its existence at all times, as old as it is today.